top of page


Where are your rooms?

We have a selection of rooms both near the College Lane and De Havilland Campus sites which are part of the University of Hertfordshire in Hatfield. They are privately owned houses and have rooms with their own bathrooms as well as rooms where you would share the bathroom. The houses are either two or three storeys with a kitchen/diner, one or two shared bathrooms, some have shared lounges and all have a garden.


Are the houses/rooms fully furnished?

The rooms will have a bed, wardrobe, chest of drawers, desk & chair. You will need to provide your own bedding (duvet, pillows, duvet covers and sheets). The kitchens are fully equipped with pots & pans, dishes, glasses, mugs & cutlery. There are cleaning utensils (vacuum cleaner, mop & bucket, broom, iron & ironing board). We do not provide hairdryers. All tenants will need to pay £5 per semester towards a household cleaning materials budget. This covers rubbish bags, washing up liquid & cleaning fluids. 

Are bills included?

All our prices have bills included (WiFi, gas, electricity, water, cleaner (visits twice per month), gardener (visits once a month during spring & summer). The gas and electricity is capped at a certain figure per month (full details on your contract). Any gas and electricity use over this is charged back to the tenants. This prevents the gas and electricity being left on all day when there’s no one at home!

Council Tax. This is a tax collected by Welwyn Hatfield Council to pay for things such as the collection of rubbish and for social services. As a student, you DO NOT need to pay Council Tax. However, you will need to obtain a Council Tax Exemption Certificate from the University as soon as the semester commences.


Can I view the rooms in person?

Yes, you can book an appointment to view the room in person. Contact our office to book a viewing appointment. If you’re not currently in the UK, you can see 3D virtual tours, video and floor plans of our homes throughout the website.  

If you’re not currently in the UK or some considerable distance away from Hertfordshire, you can book a WhatsApp or Zoom live video tour. Contact our office to book the appointment.

Can I share a room?

Our rooms are for one person only. Unfortunately you can’t share a room with a friend or family member. 

How do I reserve a room?

If you would like to reserve a room, you will need to pay a holding deposit. We then take the room off the market and the room is held for you whilst we complete a reference check. The holding deposit sum is deducted from your first rent payment. Please note that to rent one of our rooms you need to be a full-time student at the University of Hertfordshire on a course with a minimum of 21 hours of study per week.

Do I need to pay a security deposit?

We run a Zero Deposit Scheme with Reposit

Please click the link above and watch the video on the website for further information. Essentially it is an insurance policy that typically costs one week’s rent. Alternatively, you can pay 4 weeks rent as a security deposit which is held in the government backed Deposit Protection Scheme.


What contract do I need to sign?

You will need to sign an Assured Shorthold Tenancy Agreement with the landlord for the room. You can read more about them here:

Your contract will be sent to you by email for you to sign electronically.

Contracts for the new academic year from September are for a minimum of 43 weeks / 10 calendar months. Outside of this time, shorter contracts are available. Please ask for further details.


Do I need a UK guarantor?

Yes, you will need a UK based guarantor who agrees to pay the rent if you do not. They will need to complete and sign a form and be over the age of 18 and in full-time employment in the UK. The form will be sent to them once we issue your tenancy agreement. If you’re not from the UK, you can use the guarantor service from


Will I need a reference?

If you have been living in rented accommodation, you will need to provide us with your current landlord/managing agent’s contact details so that we may obtain a reference. We check that you lived at the address, paid your rent on time and were a good tenant during your time there. If you think your landlord/managing agent won’t supply you with a good reference, then please do not reserve one of our rooms.


How do I make payment?

Payments are made by the semester in advance by bank transfer. We do not accept weekly or monthly payments from students. (A semester typically runs for 17 or 18 weeks). We collect rents in September, January and April (the same time as Student Finance is paid to UK students).  The amounts will be detailed in your tenancy agreement. Your first payment will be due at least 48hrs before you move in.


Where do I collect the keys?

Once we have received your signed contract, your Check-in appointment will be booked. The appointment will be at the house and you will be given the keys to the house and your room. Before we can give you the keys, you will need to have made your payment by bank transfer. At the appointment, your Check-in host will show you the facilities in the house and provide you with a house manual. Check-in appointments are Monday-Saturday 10am-4pm. If you are travelling from abroad, please ensure you have planned to arrive at the house during these times.

Who are my housemates?

You will be sharing a house with other students from the University of Hertfordshire. They may be 1st, 2nd or 3rd year students and are both male and female.


Who do I contact if I have any queries?

You can email us at Office: 01923 883 627 (9am-6pm Monday to Friday). Emergencies only after 6pm or at weekends.

  • Facebook
  • Instagram
bottom of page